In October 1917, at the invitation of Fr P Reidy, three Sisters from the Black Josephite Order began lessons in the Catholic Church at the corner of Ash and Church Street, Leeton, thus began the tradition of Catholic education in our community.
Since these humble beginnings St Joseph’s Leeton has grown into a Kindergarten to Year 6 school of around 240 children.
The Catholic traditions of the Josephites have continued throughout the school’s history.
A timeline of the history of our school
1917 St Joseph's School opened
1936 6 classrooms built (Now Library/Administration)
1961 Old Church renovated and converted into 4 classrooms
1972 Lacey Wing built - 5 classrooms and Staffroom
1991 Mary MacKillop Wing built - 2 new classrooms
1992 75th Anniversary Celebrations
1997 Santo Antonio/Reidy Wings opened - 4 new classrooms/Multipurpose Room & pupil facilities
1998 Opening of St Joseph’s School Information Technology Centre
2000 Opening of additional classroom in San Antonio Wing
2001 First lay Principal appointed (Sharon Stuchbery)
2002-7 Refurbishments of Lacey building, Administration and Old Church Buildings.
2008 New classroom built – Reidy extension, Refurbishment of Staffroom, and P&F COLA opened
2011 MacKillop Learning Village opened, Administration and Lacey buildings redesigned
2017 St Joseph's School Centenary Celebrations
Stage One of Grounds redevelopment completed
2020 Stage Two of Grounds redevelopment completed